Dear Parent or Guardian,
Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information for Families and Staff
The Fort Vermilion School Division understands that our families, students and staff are
concerned about coronavirus. Yesterday, Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer of Health
announced there are 19 presumptive cases in Alberta; however, Alberta Health has
confirmed the current risk level in our province remains low.
Our Division continues to take direction from Alberta Health, Alberta Health Services and
the Public Health Agency of Canada as the situation continues to evolve. More
information will be shared from these health authorities as it becomes available. Families
are encouraged to check the Government of Alberta and Alberta Health Services websites
for the most recent information about coronavirus and the actions being taken to protect
the health of Albertans.
To protect yourself and others; students, families and staff are encouraged to:
• Wash hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds or use hand
sanitizer, especially after coughing or sneezing. Turn off taps and open doors with
a tissue or towel.
• Practicing good cough and sneeze etiquette: Cough and sneeze into your arm or
• Stay home when sick: Children should tell parents if they don’t feel well, and
together, make a plan to stay home from school.
• Keep clean: Keep hands away from face and mouth.
• Stay healthy: Stay healthy by eating well, keeping physically active and getting
Parents and staff are directed to call Health Link 811 for additional precautions and
follow-up testing if a child, family member or close contact travelled anywhere outside
of Canada and:
- was in contact with someone suspected of, or confirmed as, having the
- was at a health-care facility; or
- has symptoms such as cough or fever.
If you or any member of your household have been tested, you must self-isolate all
members of the household until the test results are received. If tests are negative, you
may return to school/work. If test results are positive all members of the household stay
self-isolation for 14 days before returning to school/work.
The Fort Vermilion School Division has the authority to remove students and staff from
schools following the direction from Alberta Health Services.
Principals have instructed custodians to increase disinfecting cleaning practices as well the
maintenance department is assisting to ensure student and staff safety at school.